Corporate Accounting Manager
Our client, a unique and extremely well-positioned private company headquartered in Calgary and with offices throughout North America, is seeking an experienced Manager, Corporate Accounting their Calgary Head Office Accounting team.
As the Manager of Corporate Accounting, you will report to the Corporate Controller and are responsible for managing a variety of accounting functions, including oversight of the centralized Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable function.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an experienced CPA with strong accounting and communication skills, and an ability to motivate and mentor team members, to help shape the direction of the group as the company continues to grow.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee 17 individuals (7 direct reports) responsible for the operation of the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable teams, including preparation of monthly performance reporting to share with the management team.
- Perform a variety of period-end closing procedures including preparing or approving of manual journal entries, working papers, and reconciliations to ensure data is critically assessed and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Analyze and reconcile variances between the general ledger, sub-ledger and systems.
- Assist management in the evaluation of periodic results, including explanations for the budget, forecast and prior year variances.
- Oversee bi-monthly fee calculations and payment process.
- Manage company-wide initiatives such as rollout of new expense management tool, move to national vendors and consolidated billing.
- Support integration of new offices through vendor set-up and staff training.
- Partner and collaborate with operational teams throughout the organization to ensure accurate and timely delivery of periodic financial results, provide training on processes as required and support remote offices to ensure their success.
- Involvement in the annual budgets and rolling forecast process.
- Assist the Accounting team with preparing and/or reviewing deliverables for the external auditors, tax authorities and other special reporting.
- Ensure internal control environment is adhered to, documented and continually assessed for its effectiveness. Recommend and implement improvements if necessary.
- Assist in process and system development or enhancements as required.
- Assist in the completion of special projects and/or ad hoc projects throughout the business as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- The candidate is a professional, technically proficient, independent thinker who builds positive relationships and likes to have fun! Proactively encourages development of company culture through his/her own actions and fosters environment which allows culture to thrive in others.
- Demonstrated strong leadership competencies: able to positively influence others, coach, mentor, support, provide feedback, create a positive work environment, and effectively direct work.
- Possess advanced communication skills to provide guidance and/or instruction to all levels within the organization, adapts their information/style to the audience, and explains difficult issues clearly, and tactfully, to the appropriate audience.
- Ability to set and achieve goals based on alignment with business objectives for self and team.
- Possess experience in leading change management and implementing process improvements.
- Advocates for change by fostering environment where everyone can challenge status quo and communicates its alignment to company strategy to the team.
- A hard worker who has the ability to handle pressure and meet tight deadlines for themselves and their team in an environment with a high volume of activity, while being detailed, organized and thorough.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency of Microsoft Office products, especially MS Excel.
- Experience as an administrator or super-user for an ERP system, especially ACCPAC is considered an asset
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive accounting experience, with 3-5 years of experience in a leadership or supervisory position is required.
- Experience in systems implementation or project management would be beneficial.
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.