Our client, a regional construction company with an exceptional corporate culture, is looking for an experienced Senior Project Accountant to join the team as an Accounting Supervisor. The Accounting Supervisor’s primary responsibility is to oversee and maintain accuracy of monthly reporting, including accounts payable, receivable and job cost functions. The successful person will oversee a small team, and report to an experienced Financial Controller.
- Oversee accounts receivable and accounts payable functions, training new employees on processes and assisting existing team members with problems as they arise.
- Manage and coach accounting team members through review of their work, project assignments and regular performance reviews.
- Ensure internal controls and accounting policies are in place and being adhered to.
- Manage financial risk by ensuring payment controls and compliances are in place through the review and authorization of payments.
- Manage month and year end close processes.
- Work closely with operations team to ensure accurate and timely monthly project forecasts are done.
- Manage overdue receivables in collaboration with project accountants and project managers.
- Prepare monthly divisional summary of operations and review with management.
- Co-ordinate monthly and annual divisional overhead budgeting with the assistance from other department managers.
- Assist with other financial reporting by collecting and analyzing historical data.
- Promote continuous improvement within the accounting group and ensure team members actively participate in weekly CI meetings and quarterly accounting meetings.
- Work with external audit team to ensure necessary information is made available to them.
- Accomplish tasks on time and contribute to the team by taking on special projects as needed.
- Ensure all accounting functions and processes are compliant with Accounting Standard for Private Enterprises (ASPE).
- Stay current with all regulations, practices, tax laws, reporting requirements and industry trends.
- Perform other duties as requested by the controller.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- CPA Designation
- Five or more years of construction accounting experience.
- Knowledge of accepted accounting rules, practices, tax laws and reporting requirements.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications with an advanced knowledge of excel.
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning, to identify underlying principles, reasons or facts.
- Able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Able to interpret and implement company policies and