Our client is a private retail, commercial and wholesale distribution company established in 2000. With impressive growth over the past 15 years, the company now consists of over 12 entities that report into the parent. They are looking to hire a Controller to oversee the day-to-day accounting team and support the next phase of growth through acquisitions.
Managing a team of 5 people and reporting to the President, the successful candidate will be a Designated Accountant with at least five years of post-designation experience that includes preparation of financial statements as well as notice to reader. This is an entrepreneurial company based in the south of Calgary and requires a hands-on Controller who understands and enjoys business, as well as accounting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage Full cycle accounting and finance department
- Prepare external financial statements on a quarterly and annual basis
- Preparation of internal financial reports for management monthly
- Establishing and refining controls over the financial reporting of the Company which are cross-departmental.
- Managing the workload of the personnel within the Finance department.
- Compilation of the corporate budget.
- Assisting in any M&A activity the Company undertakes.
- Assisting external advisors in audit, legal and tax.
- Designated Accountant with 5 or more years of post-qualification experience.
- Hands-on accounting experience in a retail/distribution environment preferred.
- Experience managing personnel in a finance department.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in the preparation of financial statements; the ideal Controller will also have experience preparing NTRs.
- Understanding of Internal Controls development and testing.
- Basic tax knowledge would be an asset but not a necessity.