Internal Controls Specialist
Our client, a publicly listed company, headquartered in Calgary, is looking for an Internal Controls Specialist. Reporting to the Manager Internal Controls, the Specialist will contribute to the achievement of companies’ financial and operational goals through effective risk management by assisting in the development and sustainment of internal control policies, procedures and processes. This role will have indirect supervision of a team of testers and will have high visibility with senior level business process owners within the company. The ideal candidate will be an outgoing, relationship builder who has experience setting up comprehensive SOX programs.
- Assists the Manager Internal Control with the overall management of the SOX 404/302 program;
- Manages quarterly certification of controls process by business process owners and VPs;
- Plans and reviews internal controls testing to ensure completion of annual SOX and management control programs in an efficient and effective manner and in compliance with regulatory requirements;
- Works closely with external auditors, internal audit and business process owners to coordinate efficient and effective execution of testing plan including scheduling of testing and remediation of control deficiencies;
- Takes lead in preparing reporting to senior management of control deficiencies and status of remediation;
- Working with business process owners, takes every opportunity to continuously improve the companies internal controls framework;
- Assists management in the maintenance of the risk and control library in the corporate Governance Reporting and Compliance software including the sustainment of all internal control documentation;
- Monitors the companies processes and the regulatory environment (PCAOB, SEC,COSO, etc.) for changes that could impact the internal control framework.
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Mathematics or other relevant fields required;
- Specialist - Professional Accounting Designation required;
- 3-5 years in accounting, auditing and / or controls design or assessment;
- Has a detailed working knowledge of PCAOB requirements and COSO framework;
- Effective relationship builder;
- Continuous improvement mindset;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Experience in planning and project/task management;
- Strong communication skills (written and oral);
- Drive for results / self-motivated.