Internal Controls Specialist – Information Systems
Our client, a publicly listed company, headquartered in Calgary, is looking for an Internal Controls Specialist in Information Systems. Reporting to the Manager Internal Controls, the Specialist will contribute to the achievement of companies’ financial and operational goals through effective risk management by assisting in the development and sustainment of internal control policies, procedures, and processes. This role will have indirect supervision of a team of testers and will have high visibility with senior level business process owners within the company. The ideal candidate will be an outgoing, relationship builder who has experience conducting IT Audits in a Big 4 accounting firm.
- Assists the Manager Internal Control with the overall management of the SOX 404/302 program;
- Manages quarterly certification of controls process by business process owners and VPs;
- Conducts risk and compliance assessment for various information systems with ISO, COBIT, NIST standards;
- Analyzes the effectiveness and relevance of ITGC processes and systems to optimize the Company’s resources and assets;
- Plans and reviews ITGC/SOX controls compliance testing activities with control owners and external auditors;
- Takes lead in preparing control deficiency and remediation status reporting to senior management;
- Assists in the identification, documentation, and evaluation of the company’s IT risk;
- Actively participates in IT development and implementation to resolve security and compliance issues and work with the business to put required procedures in place;
- Actively takes part in efforts to make the various business lines aware of compliance and risk issues;
- Monitor companies processes and the regulatory environment (PCAOB, SEC, COSO, etc.) for changes that could impact the company’s internal control framework.
- Achieved or working towards one or more active certifications in related areas of security and compliance such as CISA, CISM, or CISSP;
- A strong understanding of security and compliance frameworks such as PCI, ISO, COBIT or Sarbanes-Oxley IT controls;
- 3-5 years in accounting, auditing and/or controls design or assessment;
- Experience in developing and managing remediation plans to address gaps identified on assessments;
- Effective relationship builder;
- Continuous improvement mindset;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Experience in planning and project/task management;
- Strong communication skills (written and oral);
- Drive for results / self-motivated.