Senior Operations Accountant
Our client is a well-funded start-up oil & gas producer that is acquiring oil & gas assets within Alberta. Reporting to the Controller, they require an experienced Senior Accountant to join their close-knit team and oversee financial and operations accounting.
This position will appeal to an experienced CPA experienced in upstream operations accounting looking to gain more exposure to all aspects of financial accounting. The successful candidate will help establish processes and controls, provide guidance to the accounting team and work closely with the entire business.
- Play a key role in the month end process including preparing various working papers, accruals, bank loan interest calculations & month-end close,
- Prepare monthly analysis of operating results so as to produce accurate financial statements,
- Management of the company's capital assets including calculating depletion rates and working with operations to ensure a sound asset retirement obligation calculation
- Assistance with related party transactions between the corporate group
- Assist in the preparation of monthly reporting packages for both management and the financial institutions,
- Assist in the monthly, quarterly and annual budgeting and forecasting process
- Liaise closely with operations to ensure a strong understanding of Key Performance Indicators,
- Ad hoc reporting and projects as required
- An Accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA)
- 8+ years of experience in the upstream oil gas industry, preferably in a small company environment
- Experience working in an undefined "start-up" environment where you will gain exposure to all aspects of finance, including process development, reporting, tax, production/revenue accounting, treasury, etc.
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel and previous experience with Qbyte FM would be considered an asset. Bonus if you know how to use macros to make your reporting more effective and efficient.
- A self-motivated professional willing to grow with the company and step in as second in command to the Finance Manager.
- Ability to understand broader issues, probe for information, and proactively seek opportunities to add value.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, under pressure and with time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships at all levels internally and with external vendors.
- Ability and willingness to constructively question processes, and to learn and implement new concepts for improved operations.