Financial Accountant - Contract
|Company Name||$55 - $70/hr|
|Date Posted||June 9, 2017|
Exploration & Production
Our client, a well respected major Oil & Gas producer has an opportunity for an ambitious Financial Accountant to provide support to the Finance & Accounting (“F&A”) Department by performing daily accounting tasks and analyses primarily in the area of fixed assets including asset retirement obligations and other ad hoc projects. This position will report to the Manager of Financial Accounting, however, strong interaction with the F&A senior accountants is expected. The candidate must feel comfortable with a changing environment and be able to adapt to changing priorities at a moment’s notice. The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the F&A group.
- Perform asset retirement obligation account reconciliations and analyses, and update/create financial reports or models for management.
- Prepare journal entries related to asset retirement obligations, fixed assets and corporate accounts.
- Identify opportunities for process and internal control improvements and lead or assist with implementation.
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements, and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines.
- Prepare monthly/ quarterly reports as needed.
- Assist lead accountants in the preparation of monthly/quarterly/yearly closings.
- Maintain accounting controls by following policies and procedures.
- Assist with other accounting projects.
- Assist with preparation and coordination of external audit process
This contract offers the right candidate variety in their daily work life, learning opportunities and the chance to offer creative solutions. We are seeking an individual with a strong work ethic, who is self-motivated and able to work under minimal supervision. Our ideal candidate will possess excellent planning and organization skills and be able to be influential and assertive when necessary. We require someone who is known as an open and honest team player, and who has a positive, engaging attitude.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting
- Canadian accounting designation (CGA, CMA, CA, CPA)
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience; Big 4 public accounting experience preferred
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles, controls and practices
- Good understanding of accounting for asset retirement obligations
- Energy industry experience preferred
- Ability to analyze complex information and formulate decisions/recommendations
- Team oriented with open communication style
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Able to successfully manage priorities and meet deadlines
- Great attention to detail
- Must be comfortable working with several lead accountants within the group
- General math skills, including an analytical acumen
- BSc/BA in accounting or finance
- SAP, Excel intermediate knowledge